Sunday, June 14, 2009

Leaders

Have you been following the election hooha in Iran? This situation is nothing new. Human leaders frequently make elections come out the way they want. I could cite several elections in the past 10 years, but I think you see where I'm going.

Things are very different in the dog world. I don't know if you've noticed, but dogs quickly figure out who's the boss and whose job it is to follow around the boss. If you're confused about it, put down one bowl of food and see who gets to eat first and who moves away if another dog comes along. Top dogs get the best resting spots, best bits of meat, and first crack at, ahem, procreating. That's how we pass on those top dog genes!

When dogs meet, they sniff. Occasionally they tussle a bit and fake hump. The humper is attempting to show dominance, which is sometimes accepted and sometimes rewarded with a growl and a nip. I am a champion fake humper. However, I am not the top dog at my house. Amongst the animules, there is only one queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment